"Sailing vessels in a stormy sea," A. Bogolyubov

"Sailing vessels in a stormy sea," A. Bogolyubov
porcelain, art painting, diameter 29 cm

"Sailing vessels in a stormy sea", 1875-1880.

Author: Bogolyubov, Alexei Petrovich (1824 – 1896)
EXAMINATION OF THE STATE TRETYAKOV GALLERY
http://www.tamest.ru/blog/bogolubov/
Russian seascape painter, master of Russian battle Marina.
The writer's grandson, A. N. Radishcheva.
Early deprived of his father, was given to the Alexander juvenile cadet corps, and thence transferred to the Naval cadet corps in St. Petersburg, graduating at the rank of Midshipman in 1841. Served as the aide-de-camp to Vice-Admiral Alexander A. durasova. While still a cadet, Bogolyubov began to paint.
In 1849, were among the officers of the ship "Kamchatka", which went to Madeira the Duke Maximilian of Leuchtenberg. Acquainted with pictures Bogolyubov, Duke advised the young officer to devote himself to art.
In 1850 Bogolyubov entered the Academy of fine arts. His artistic education he mostly obliged, mn. Vorobyov and BP Villevalde.
Drew the attention of two types of Kronstadt Harbor and the painting "the Flood in Kronstadt Harbor in 1824".
In 1852 he received a second gold medal in three paintings: "View of the Smolny convent from the Okhta river", "Battle of brig "mercury" with two Turkish ships" (from the Turkish war of 1828) and "the Departure of HIH Duke Maximilian of Leuchtenberg from Lisbon".
Bogolyubov left the Academy in 1853 with the first Golden medal and was appointed Chief artist of the naval staff.
Leaving naval service, he spent seven years traveling through Europe.
In Geneva used the advice of the famous Kalama; in Paris he worked in the Studio of Isabey; for two years studied under Andreas Achenbach.
In 1856 Bogolyubov visited Constantinople, on the Danube and in Sinop, with the purpose to write some sketches for paintings, commissioned to him by Emperor Nicholas Pavlovich.
Accompanied the future Tsar Alexander III in the journey to Russia and made sketches (see Notes Kachalova — Kachalov, Nikolai Aleksandrovich).
Upon return received the title of academician, and in 1860 Professor of painting. Then the Bogolyubov arranged in the halls of the Academy exhibition of his works in favor of the widows and orphans of artists. At this exhibition special attention of the public drew the picture of the history of our fleet, ordered by the Russian Emperor, in particular, "Sinop" and "Kermes in Amsterdam". Emperor Alexander II ordered Bogolyubov to write in pictures the history of the Navy of Peter the Great.
In 1861 on behalf of the hydrographic Department of the Ministry of Maritime Bogolyubov began work on the Atlas of the coast of the Caspian sea under the guidance of renowned hydrographer captain Ivashentseva.
This coincided with the initiative of the Volga steamship company "Airplane" by the publication of the guide on the Volga river ways to "give the traveler, where possible, a clear and true notion of all the great Volga areas." As a result of travel along the Volga to the Caspian sea, Bogolyubov made a series of drawings and sketches with views of the Volga cities. They came in the form of illustrations (lithographs and policypage) to guide "the Volga from Tver to Astrakhan". The textual part of the guidebook "part according to the known sources, and partly on the basis of their own observations," wrote the elder brother of the painter Nikolai (1821-1898), who also participated in this trip. In explanation of some of the stories in this series of drawings the artist has subsequently created the large canvases.
In 1864, together with the captains Bazhenov and Crown Bogolyubov performed a similar Atlas of the coast of the Gulf of Finland, and promera depth in the areas of ports and passages of the archipelago.
In 1871, the Bogolyubov wrote to the Orthodox Church in Paris several murals. In the same year he gave the Academy of up to 225 sketches in oils and 800 drawings and Sepia watercolours.
In 1885, Bogolyubov petitioned for the lifting of the ban on the demonstration of the painting of Ilya Repin "Ivan the terrible and his son Ivan November 16, 1581", which greatly displeased the Emperor Alexander III and his entourage. After the filing of the Bogolyubov petition, the ban was lifted.
Was the founder of a drawing school (1897 — his name) and the Art Museum named after A. N. Radishcheva in 1885 in Saratov, bequeathed to the Museum his works, now comprising the most significant collection of his work.
Recent years lived in Paris, only occasionally visiting Russia. Thanks to his initiative, in Paris settled a Society of mutual aid of Russian artists.
In Saratov they arranged the Museum named after Radishchev, whom he had a grandson.
Bogolyubov's works are in the collections of Russian museums, in particular in the Tretyakov gallery — "the Golden horn", "the Mouth of the Neva," "Summer night on the Neva river at the seaside" and others.
A. P. Bogolyubov, who died in France, was buried in St. Petersburg on Malookhtinsky cemetery next to their parents.
In may 1941 the ashes of the artist were transferred to the Tikhvin cemetery of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra (the so-called "Necropolis of masters of arts"). Involves the installation of a new monument. In a whirlwind of subsequent events the place of reburial Bogolyubov was lost. The commemorative plate installed in 2006
In Moscow, in the former mansion of the artist, located at: Suschevskaya str., 14, based the art Library, which in 1996 named after A. P. Bogolyubov.
AddressDanko Art GaleryPretchestenko Street 30/2119034 MoskowRussia
Contact details+79 2652-002 26
Conditions of purchase