Lot 501. PLATE LAUNCHING OF the CRUISER 1st RANK VARYAG
PLATE LAUNCHING OF the CRUISER 1st RANK VARYAG. A rectangular plate of silver, engraved on one side of the Varyag and with the inscription in cyrillic : "Cruiser 1st class Varyag, which was founded on may 10, 1899 in Philadelphia by the factories of the company V. Kramp and Co ", and on the back the inscription : "placed under the patronage of the grand duke, general-admiral Alexis Alexandrovich, the minister of the Navy Vice-admiral Tritoff and in the presence of the president of the commission, the captain of 1st rank Tshensnovitch and members of the construction of the vessel represented by Mr. Tchenigovsky ", kept in its case of origin morocco color bordeaux interior in the shape of silk velvet and red taffeta moire champagne color. Wear and tear of time. Work american Home Bailey Banks & Biddle Co in Philadelphia. Plate : H. 10 cm, L. 12 cm. Ecrin : L. 16, 5 cm - L. 13 cm. Weight. : 173 grs. History : The Varyag was a protected cruiser of the first class of the imperial Navy of Russia, he served in the first Pacific squadron. This warship took part in the battle of Chemulpo on 9 February 1904, seriously damaged by the gunfire of the japanese fleet, the cruiser was scuttled. Refloated by the Japanese in 1905, has been repaired, it is put into service in the imperial japanese Navy under the name Soya. In 1916, with other ships, the cruiser is bought by imperial Russia.