It is also known as the castle of Buarcos, which is the remains of an old medieval castle. The first mention of it is in the book donations in the Cathedral in Coimbra. Entry 1096 years, made by the Abbot Pedro on the contribution of donations for the construction and signed the first king of Portugal, Afonso Henriques, consisted of two towers with battlements, which were used to protect the anchorages from Buarcos (at the mouth of the Mondego river) from the pirates.
During the 13th century, in one of the rolls of the monastery of Santa Cruz in Coimbra, was referred to the tower of Buarcos (ar habent torrem of buarcos cum like a vine).
In the book of the estates and land lease received by University of Coimbra, around 1579, the castle of Buarcos has been transferred, as an important defensive Fort.
In 1697, D. Leonardo de Santo Agostinho gave the castle to the mayor, to his nephew Pedro de Vigas Novis.
However, when the construction of the fortress, the castle has lost much of its strategic importance. Information relating to the rights of the monastery of Santa Cruz in the village Redondos, in 1788, was mentioned tower. Carlos van Zeller and count Raczynski referred to the tower, and fortifications, which were already in a state of death.
October 30, 1854, by decision of the Ministry of public works, the castle was demolished, only the angle of the tower was saved and renovated by the hydrographic engineer, Francisco Maria Pereira da Silva as a symbol of the Maritime history of Portugal.